Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Good Grief Charlie Brown!


Somehow I managed to prolong my appointment with exercise.  Well, not actually… I know how I did it, but I didn’t do it on purpose.  So yesterday, after dinner, my boyfriend and I had to drive over to a car lot to pick-up his car.  Well instead of pulling into the lot, to change drivers, he stopped on the street right outside the parking lot where his car was waiting.  Me, seeing a car was going to pull up behind us, tried to run a Chinese Fire Drill.  – for those of you that don’t know what this is, it is when the driver and a passenger get out of the car, run around the car and in the process switch drivers.  Well in doing this I managed to step into a crack in the street, rolled onto my ankle and just about destroyed any possibility for joining a dance troupe in the near future. 
As I crouch there in pain next to my car trying desperately not to scream out in pain, my wonderful and loving boyfriend tells me to stop faking it and that no way can a sprained ankle hurt that bad.  I was only wishing that it was a sprain.  But no… I did not just twist my ankle, I rolled onto it and put all my weight (and there is a lot of it – the weight that is) on the ankle.  As I did this, I remember the last time this had happened.  I couldn’t wear shoes for months and was told not to walk or lift or pretty much live until the swelling had gone all the way down.  Well it wasn’t possible then and it isn’t possible now.
Back to my “accident.”  5-10 minutes later I’m still crouched over in pain wracking my brain how I’m going to stand up and hobble over the two steps into the car and drive (YES!!!   I STILL HAD TO DRIVE!!!) home.  At some point my bf tells me to suck it up; still not realizing what really had happened.  If I hadn’t had so much pain in my leg, I would have popped him one for that comment.  Bf manages to help me hop into the car and I carefully place my foot into the foot well.  As I drive home, I make sure not to move my foot at all because I can already feel the pain emanating from my ankle to the opposite side of my foot.  I’m also trying to not cry since I need to drive home on the freeway and as we all know - tears will blind our view if crying while driving.   So to combat my pain, my teeth are chattering away like I’m in the middle of Antarctica – naked.  (btw… my jaw hurts from grinding my teeth all day today when walking, sitting, rolling my ankle again…) 
As I drive into my garage, I allow myself to finally cry in pain.  Which still my bf is completely amazed at how much of a girl I am acting like.  Well I hobble over to the couch and carefully pull up my pant leg and notice that my ankle has swelled up to the size of a baseball.  I show my bf and his comment is “I don’t notice a difference.” Why this comment?  Because I was lucky enough to be born with cancles.  I laugh at this through my tears. 
I did apply an ice pack immediately,  and have been advised by my friend (who majored in Sports Therapy/Medicine or something like that) of applying ice in 20 minute intervals and wrapping my ankle down to my toes. 

As a side note, I have stopped drinking soda and have started my “students” diet today.  What is that you may ask?  Well, I’m living off a student’s budget until after Christmas so all I could afford to purchase for breakfast this week was some instant coffee and granola bar, cup-o-noodles and granola snack for lunch and macaroni and cheese with canned veggies and spam for dinner.  Notice no mention of soda in my grocery list.  Weighed myself and I will only admit that I need to lose at least 60 lbs to be down to my goal weight.  Only 60…

No comments:

Post a Comment